Long hours at the computer and gazing at smartphones can leave you with tense neck muscles and lingering pain. Bad posture and incorrect sleeping positions are also common culprits when it comes to neck pain and stiffness. It’s a common problem, with around 20% of the population reporting experiencing neck pain at some point. Have you woken up with a stiff neck or felt tense, painful sensations in your neck? Read on for insights on how to relieve neck pain.
What causes neck pain?
Neck pain can be the result of an injury sustained during work or sports. It can also occur as a result of straining the muscles and joints in your neck. Because the neck is a delicate — and extremely important — part of the body, it’s important to take special care when treating it. If your neck pain is sharp or persistent, you should speak to a professional. Always consult your doctor or healthcare provider before addressing serious neck pain at home to rule out injury. Minor aches and pains can usually be relieved with adjustments to your habits and at-home remedies.
Relieving neck pain
There are many ways to relieve everyday neck pain. Try these techniques to help calm muscles and ease discomfort:
- For quick, soothing relief, try a hot compress, like Heated Neck Wrap. Warmth is a great way to relax tense muscles and soothe everyday aches and pains, relieving strained necks.
- Try using a firmer pillow, or a specialty pillow designed for neck support.
- Consider switching to a more supportive, firm mattress. Sleeping on your back or side can also be a good option.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach, as this can cause you to turn your head to one side, causing stiffness and strained muscles.
- Exercise can also be helpful for relieving neck pain, but make sure you are not aggravating the problem. Try gentle exercises that are geared toward improving your range of motion, like turning your head from right to left and up and down gently and slowly. This will help stretch the muscles without straining them and improve tightness and pain.
Neck pain is something that will probably happen to everyone at one point or another, but with gentle stretching, correct sleeping positions, and Self-Care — like massage or a warm neck compress — you can improve or even eliminate this pesky problem.
Want to feel good?
At Ostrichpillow we're all about Self-Care and wellbeing. Join our community and you'll receive special offers and inspiration fresh to your inbox.