During the workweek, it can be easy to let your Self-Care practices fall to the wayside. You’re stressed, pressed for time, and maybe just a bit too tired at the end of the day to go for that calming walk outside or head to that restorative yoga class. It feels like there’s only so many hours in the day, and after what feels like the 50th Zoom meeting of the week, you might rather flop into bed or zone out in front of the television than draw a scented bath or sit down on your meditation pillow. When you feel totally tethered to your mobile device, how can you truly unplug and unwind when you finally get to take that much-anticipated vacation or mini-trip? It can be tough to relax and reconnect with our true selves — even on vacation. Read on for Self-Care ideas to help you disconnect from the grind and feel restored and rejuvenated in mind and body.
How to take care of your body
Stress and tension build up in the body, and too many hours spent hunched over your desk or in front of your computer screen add up quickly, and can have a noticeable effect on your overall sense of wellbeing. Regular Self-Care practice can help you restore balance and serenity to your body and improve your physical state.
- Take a hike — literally. Hit the trail, whether you’re on vacation or at home. Exercise is an important and easy way to check out your surroundings while moving your body.
- Close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Can’t sleep? Feel your thoughts running wild? Practice some mental Self-Care with Light Versatile Pillow from Ostrichpillow, which you can bring anywhere and use anytime for a comfy, soothing rest for your eyes and mind. It’s perfect for a quick timeout while traveling or to give yourself a break during the workday.
- Turn off that alarm clock. When you’re on vacation, it’s a great chance to catch up on those lost hours of sleep you may have missed during the workweek. Let your body wake up naturally and turn off the clock. This lets your mind and body return to their natural rhythms.
How to practice Self-Care — No matter where you are
When you’re away from home, it can be hard to keep up the healthy Self-Care habits you’ve worked hard to incorporate into your daily routine. Going on vacation? Bring along your essential oils and portable humidifier or diffuser to create a calming atmosphere in your hotel room or rental. This helps put you in the right frame of mind to make healthy choices and continue the Self-Care progress you’ve made.
- Keep a travel journal. Writing down your thoughts can be a relaxing practice while you’re on the move. Record details of your trip, but also how you feel and what you’re thinking about.
- Make it a point to explore. Grow your mind and stretch your legs by stepping outside your comfort zone and learning about the place you’re visiting. Connecting with your surroundings by exploring a bit beyond your usual comfort zone or outside your routine can refresh your mind and stimulate the senses.
Whether you’re vacationing in an exotic locale or doing a “stay-cation” at home, it’s important to let your mind and body rest and give yourself the fuel you need, whether it be nourishing food, a good book, a long walk, or a few minutes of meditation. Self-Care is a healthy habit you can bring with you no matter where life takes you — and it’s a practice that grows with you through every stage of life.
Want to feel good?
At Ostrichpillow we're all about Self-Care and wellbeing. Join our community and you'll receive special offers and inspiration fresh to your inbox.
Photo by Jake Melara on Unsplash